“Whatever form health care reform takes, it must not be done by sacrificing the lives of hundreds of thousands of unborn American children.”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this in a letter encouraging Rep. Bart Stupak to hijack health care reform in order to roll back access to abortion. ‘Cause why would we want women to have affordable access to reproductive health care in the United States of America?
“Senator Monserrate was found guilty of trying to do good by forcing his girlfriend to go to the hospital for treatment.”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this about Hiram Monserrate, who was caught on tape dragging his girlfriend down a flight of stairs and through the lobby of an apartment building after slashing her face with a broken glass. Standing up for the women of the Bronx once again.
“Like many Hispanic Americans, I am delighted that Justice Roberts, Justice Alito, and three of their colleagues were able to rule in favor of defending the lives of unborn children. Partial birth abortion is a late-term abortion procedure where the child is partially delivered and then gruesomely killed.”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this in applauding the Supreme Court’s abortion ban. Too bad it’s made up.
“Since that day of infamy, January 22nd 1973, every year there are approximately 1.5 million abortions in America. In thirty two (32) years, at the rate of 4,000 abortions each day, we have killed and slaughtered 48 million unborn American citizens.”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this about Roe v. Wade, showing that one person’s libratory turning point in the history of women’s rights is another person’s day of infamy.
“Black and Hispanic communities should no longer be plagued with abortion clinics like Dr. Emily’s…. We continue to work and pray for an end to the deliberate killing of Bronx children at Dr. Emily’s.”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this in advertising his planned protest at Dr. Emily’s Clinic, a reproductive health care faciliy in his district. Ruben Diaz, limiting choice through shame and stigma, one woman at a time.
If you represented the Bronx, how would you address the fact that Bronx has the highest rates of teen pregnancy in New York City? Through comprehensive sex education? Increasing knowledge about and access to contraception and family planning services? Ruben Diaz prefers to oppose family planning and protest reproductive health care facilities.
Diaz Wants to Officiate Wedding Between Monserrate and Battered Girlfriend
Diaz is a true friend to Hiram Monserrate. Even after Monserrate was caught on video dragging his girlfriend Karla Giraldo down a flight of steps just after having slashed her face with a broken glass, Diaz is there for Hiram, as the New York Post reported:
“I’m the most conservative Democrat in the city… I am anti-gay marriage, I am anti-abortion and I’m for prayer in schools And I will not slow down on those things.”
- Yes, Diaz said this to the Daily News, defending his comparison between abortion and the Holocaust. Perhaps not the most convincing defense.
“As the President of the New York Hispanic Clergy Organization and an Evangelical Minister, I have always opposed and will oppose the killing of unborn babies, especially the grisly procedure of “partial-birth abortion,” done throughout the ninth month of pregnancy.”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this, in what he considered to be a condolence statement about the murder of abortion provider Dr. George Tiller. Why does phrasing such as “grisly” “killing of unborn babies” make us question Diaz’s true level of sympathy for the murder of Dr. Tiller?
“I marched with the late John Cardinal O’Connor in rosary processions outside abortion clinics, and I have prayed with my ministers in front of them. Hopefully our prayer and peaceful protest has made a difference in some lives.”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this in reference to the Clinic Access Bill. Hate to break it to you Ruben, but the difference you’re making in women’s lives is of the bothering, harassing, making-a-difficult-decision-nearly-impossible variety.
“This bill’s intent is clearly to criminalize peaceful pro-life witness in front of abortion clinics, and moreover, to deny women a loving alternative to abortion.”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this about New York City’s Clinic Access Bill, which made it illegal to harass someone or place them in fear of physical harm within 15 feet of an abortion clinic, aka Diaz’s idea of a “loving alternative to abortion.” Yeah, it’s pretty clear how this bill really put a cramp in Diaz’s style.
Yes, Ruben Diaz, Pretty Girls Do Things Like Fight For Their Reproductive Freedom
You’ll never believe the encouraging words Diaz had for a young citizen activist trying to participate in the democratic process (via the New York Observer):
Diaz Protested Abortion Clinic In His Own District
How can a Senator best support the women and families he represents? Why, by making really stressful experiences even more stressful, of course.
On September 27, 2007, Ruben Diaz took part in a 40 Days for Life demonstration outside of Dr. Emily’s Clinic, a reproductive health care facility in the South Bronx. Diaz joined Chris Slattery, notorious anti-choice activist and founder of Expectant Mother Care, a crisis pregnancy center which claims to be fighting “on the frontlines for life in the abortion capital of America.”
From the women of the South Bronx to you, Ruben Diaz — thanks.
“Abortion is a murder… We have experts and all indications are that [the morning after] pill might cause abortion.”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this, criticizing passage of a law making over-the-counter access to emergency contraception legal in New York State.
“Abortion is the American Holocaust. I want to compare Adolf Hitler and the holocaust to what is happening to abortion in America”
- Yes, Ruben Diaz said this in a speech about stem cell research.